Thursday, September 25, 2008

my new-found friend^^

my new-found friend^^

a few months after i came here in bermuda, ive acquired a new bestfriend…they say you cant buy friends but i did^^..it cost me nearly two hundred dollars to befriend her…life here is toooooooooooo boring so i needed to get a new friend…right after work, there’s really nothing to look forward to except sleep and to mark as each day passes by…well, you can cover the whole island(from end to end) in just a few hours…that’s how small the island is unlike in iloilo where you can unwind or cool down a bit in the malls or eat-out after work…here, it’s a different story..stores and even gasoline stations are closed after 5pm - except for grocery stores and a handful of restaurants in town..sundays and holidays are worst because almost all business establishments are closed - others would open at 1-5pm only!!…and most buses dont run as late(?!) as 615 pm..see? who wouldnt be bored??!! and as ive mentioned in my past blogs, every thing here costs quite a fortune so why bother spending?(can you imagine buying a gift wrapper at $3 each?..so how much is that in phil peso??!!..that’s why we sometimes recycle gift bags^^)..but when i got my new bestfriend, wow, it kept me company when im done for the day…actually, our friendship only lasted for more than a year…i was too demanding of her that it gave up on me…our friendship is way beyond repair…so, i had to let it go…actually, i miss my bestfriend…it’s been 3 to 4 months that i havent seen her…one time in church, there was this little colored girl seated right in front of me and she was getting restless…she was with her parents and her mother had given her books and some cookies for her to be still..but it didnt make a difference…we had a guest preacher that morning and as always i was listening attentively (take note that when we are in church we need to focus on what the minister is talking because he represents God in our midst…God is talking to us through our pastors and priests..so, would we allow distractions when we are face-to-face with God? Selah.)..there was no sunday school that time so i was sure that the li’l girl’s parents were having a hard time to hush her…then a few minutes later, i noticed that her mother took out something from her duffle bag that made the li’l one quiet…eventhough i barely caught sight of it i knew what it was…it was my bestfriend!…er…we have the same bestfriend!!…i felt a tug in my heart upon seeing it…who(what^^) was my bestfriend?…a portable dvd player!!^^..that girl and i had the same brand of dvd player!..why do i call it my bestfriend?..well, i remember when i was teaching koreans before…at each start of our class, they would take their electronic dictionary out and they would introduce it as their “bestfriend”…now i fully understand their predicament then…i used my dvd player not just to watch movies but to listen to my Bible study cds as well…i brought a lot of dvds when i went home last december..it consisted mostly of korean dramas and movies (i got one dvd-a collection of matt damon’s movies because i like him a LOT!)…i got hooked watching korean dramas/movies only here in bermuda..there used to be an asian (AZN) channel on cable (but they scraped it out) and it featured a lot of korean dramas…too bad it only featured one tv program from the philippines-” the world tonight”…others are telling me that maybe im hooked to korean dramas becaused i used to teach koreans! nope! when i was still in the language school, my friends and co-teachers would rant and rave about this and that korean drama…and i was just clueless( though ive to admit that i watched “winter sonata” and a bit of “full house”- but only those two,ok)..so it’s just out of boredom that got me addicted to it…the reason i think is because koreans can create unique and beautiful plots that you couldnt predict what comes next….and they dont show too much flesh…not driven by burning passion which is not likely the case in many filipino dramas…one thing that irks me about many filipino dramas (not to mention its hallmark longetivity!!) is that characters are consumed by much hatred, jealousy and envy that they would hunt for someone’s head and in the end you’ll be surprised to see a “dead’ character resurrected..tsk..tsk…not too plausible, right?..going back, it’s not just me who’s hooked watching korean dramas but my other cousins as well…during the weekend, we would talk about what we watched and check on how late we’d go to bed…we even compared ourselves to zombies^^…the story is sooooo good that you couldn’t turn it off nor could you go to the bathroom and pee…can you guess how late i’d go to bed?..you had no idea!!..ive watched “my girl” from 7pm to 5am(you couldnt finish the whole series in a night)…who can beat that?…i felt like having a 24-hour duty in the hospital again…and there was even a time when i took the bus and it seemed to me that passengers are talking in korean!..weird that i wanted to slap myself that moment…i think that’s because i was watching too much of it..but God has a way of making me realize what i was doing and it hit me when my dvd wouldnt play anymore…yup, it gave up on me because if that dvd could talk, im sure it would yell at me and tell me to leave her alone…there were times that it would stuck up but still i’d poke it and give the lens it’s own dose of cleaning which i shouldnt do, right?..i remember pointing the vacuum’s nozzle thinking i could suck the dirt out!!..i was too desperate to use it continuously!..well, it’s of no use now- i need to buy a new one…but when it got broken God made me realize that i was spending(and wasting) too much time on it and ive pushed God from His number 1 place in my life..ive made an idol out of my dvd player..what is an idol?..it’s not just an image, statue or picture that we put or hang on a wall and we revere it…but an idol is a thing or person that we devote most of our time…it could be our work…school….loved ones/partner in life….hobbies….celebrities/personalities….nokia, samsung, lg, motorolla,black(blue,rasp^^)berry cp…pc/laptop,notebook…money…and yes, oftentimes, that thing that sits in our living room- our tv set!!…as long as we push God out for something or someone, then that’s our idol…God wants to commune with us…He wants His children to talk to Him and spend wonderful quality tiime with Him…How will we know Him and His will if we are spending less and less time with Him and His Word? i still miss my dvd player but never again will i make it a stumbling block in my relationship with God…we must continually seek God and put Him right on His throne!!

“I am the Lord your God…you shall have no other gods before Me. you shall not make for yourself any carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. you shall not bow down to them nor serve them.”- exodus 20:1-5

“take heed to yourselves, lest your heart be deceived, and you turn aside and serve other gods and worship them.”- deuteronomy 11:16

No comments: